Prof. CHEN Wei
Prof. Wei Chen received her B. Eng. degree in 1999 and M. Eng. degree in 2002 on telecommunication systems and smart sensor systems, from School of Electrics and Information Engineering, Xian Jiaotong University, China. She obtained her Ph.D. degree in 2007 on performance monitoring and impairment mitigation for optical communication systems, from the Department of Electrical & Electronics Engineering, The University of Melbourne, Australia. She worked at Bell Laboratories Germany, Alcatel-Lucent, Stuttgart, Germany as an intern in 2005. From 2007 to 2015, she was an Assistant Professor at Eindhoven University of Technology, the Netherlands. Since Oct. 2015, she has been a full professor and director of Center for Intelligent Medical Electronics (CIME) at Department of Electronic Engineering, School of Information Science and Technology, Fudan University. She is a Senior Member of IEEE and associate editor of IEEE Journal on Biomedical Health Informatics (J-BHI).
Prof. Chen has been carrying out research in the multidisciplinary areas of wireless sensor systems, patient health monitoring, ambient intelligent system design and digital signal processing for performance optimization. The application areas include neonatal monitoring, elderly care, smart rehabilitation, interactive and cognitive environments. She has graduated five PhD students and five PDEng (Professional Doctorate in Engineering) students and among them three were awarded Cum Laude PhD (top 5%).
Medical monitoring system, patient health monitoring, neonatal monitoring, brain activity monitoring, smart sleep, smart rehabilitation system, wireless body area networks, wearable sensor systems, internet of things, ambient intelligence, personalized and smart environment, smart sensor systems, and signal processing
1. “Neonatal Monitoring Technologies: Design for Integrated Solutions”, edited by W. Chen, S. Bambang Oetomo, and L. M. G. Feijs, IGI Global, ISBN: 9781466609754, April 2012.
2. “Recent Advances on AAL – bridging Assistive Technologies, e-Health and Personalized Health Care”, edited by W. Chen, J. Augusto, F. Martinez, F. Lehocki, K.-H. Wolf, J. Arends, C. Ungureanu, and R. Wichert, IOS press, 2015.
1. W. Chen, S. Bambang Oetomo, D. Tetteroo, F. Versteegh, T. Mamagkaki, M. S. Pereira, L. Janssen, A. van Meurs, “Mimo Pillow – a Comfortable Cushion Designed with Maternal Heart Beat Vibrations for Comforting Newborn Infants”, IEEE Journal of Biomedical Health Informatcis (JBHI), vol.19, no.3, pp.979-985, May 2015.
2. W. Chen, S. Bambang Oetomo, L. M. G. Feijs, P. Andriessen, F. Kimman, M. Geraets, and M. Thielen, “Rhythm of Life Aid (ROLA) – An Integrated Sensor System for Supporting Medical Staff during Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) of Newborn Infants”, IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in BioMedicine, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 1468-1474, Nov. 2010.
3. W. Chen, S. Bambang Oetomo, L.M.G. Feijs, S. Bouwstra, I. Ayoola, S. Dols, “Design of an Integrated Sensor Platform for Vital Sign Monitoring of Newborn Infants at Neonatal Intensive Care Unit”, Journal of Healthcare Engineering – Special Issue on Critical Care, vol.1, no. 4, pp. 535-554, 2010.
4. W. Chen, J. Hu, S. Bouwstra, S. Bambang Oetomo, L. M. G. Feijs, “Sensor Integration for Perinatology Research”, International Journal of Sensor Networks (IJSNet) Special Issue on Recent Advances in Sensor Integration, Vol.9, No.1, pp.38 – 49, 2011.
5. W. Chen, C. L. W. Sonntag, F. Boesten, S. Bambang Oetomo, L. M. G. Feijs, “A Design of Power Supply for Neonatal Monitoring with Wearable Sensors”, Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments-Special Issue on Wearable Sensors, vol.1, no. 2, 185 – 196, 2009, IOS press.
6. I.B.I. Ayoola, W. Chen, and L.M.G. Feijs, “Camera on Vessel: A Camera-Based System to Measure Change in Water Volume in a Drinking Glass,” Sensors, vol. 15, pp. 23847-23867, 2015.
7. K. Frederiks, M. Croes, W. Chen, S. Bambang Oetomo, and P. Sterkenburg, “Sense – a biofeedback system to support the interaction between parents and their child with the Prader-Willi syndrome”, Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments (JAISE), vol.7, pp. 449-459, 2015, IOS press.
8. L. Ivonin, H.-M. Chang, M. Diaz, A. Catala, W. Chen, and G.W.M. Rauterberg, “Traces of Unconscious Mental Processes in Introspective Reports and Physiological Responses”, PLOS ONE, March 2015, available from http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0124519
9. L. Ivonin, H.-M. Chang, M. Diaz, A. Catala, W. Chen, and G.W.M. Rauterberg, “Beyond Cognition and Affect: Sensing the Unconscious”, Behaviour & Information Technology, May 2014, available from http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/0144929X.2014.912353.
10. B. Takac, A. Catala, D. Rodriguez, N. van der Aa, W. Chen and G.W.M. Rauterberg, “Position and Orientation Tracking in a Ubiquitous Monitoring System for Parkinson’s Disease Patients with Freezing of Gait Symptom”, Journal of Medical Internet Research, JMIR Mhealth Uhealth, 1(2), e14, 2013, available from http://mhealth.jmir.org/2013/2/e14/ .
11. C.F. Tan, G.W.M. Rauterberg, W. Chen, V.K. Kher, “Adaptive Body Support System for Aircraft Seat”, Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vols. 263 – 266 (2013), pp. 1232-1235.
12. P. Andriessen, S. Bambang Oetomo, W. Chen, and L.M.G. Feijs, “Efficacy of feed forward and feedback signaling for inflations and chest compression pressure during cardiopulmonary resuscitation in a newborn mannequin”, Journal of Clinical Medicine Research, vol. 4, no.4, pp. 274-278, 2012.
13. L. Ivonin, H.-M. Chang, W. Chen, and M. Rauterberg, “Unconscious Emotions: Quantifying and Logging Something We Are Not Aware Of,” Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, DOI 10.1007/s00779-012-0514-5, pp. 1-11, 2012.
14. I. Ouveysi, F. Shu, W. Chen, G. Shen, and M. Zukerman, “Topology and Routing Optimization for Congestion Minimization in Optical Wireless Networks”, Optical Switching and Networking, vol. 7. issue 3, 95-107, July 2010.
15. F. Shu, M. N. Halgamuge and W. Chen, “Building Automation Systems Using Wireless Sensor Networks: Radio Characteristics and Energy Efficient Communication Protocols”, Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering, Special Issue on Sensor Network for Building Monitoring: From Theory to Real Application, Dec. 2009, pp. 66 – 73.
16. W. Chen, J. P. LIE, B. Ng, T. Wang and M. H. Er, “Joint Gain/Phase and Mutual Coupling Array Calibration Technique with Single Calibrating Source,” International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Volume 2012, Article ID 625165, doi:10.1155/2012/625165. Available from http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijap/2012/625165/
17. W. Chen, F. Buchali, X. Yi, and W. Shieh, “Dynamic PMD Mitigation at 10 Gb/s Using Viterbi Equalization in DPSK Systems”, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Volume 21, Issue 4, Feb. 2009, pp. 191 – 193.
18. W. Chen, F. Buchali, X. Yi, W. Shieh, J. S. Evans, and R. S. Tucker, “Chromatic Dispersion and PMD Mitigation at 10 Gb/s Using Viterbi Equalization for DPSK and DQPSK Modulation Formats”, Optics Express, vol. 15, issue 9, April 2007, pp. 5271-5276.
19. W. Chen, R. S. Tucker, X. Yi, W. Shieh, and J. S. Evans, “Optical Signal-to-Noise Ratio Monitoring Using Uncorrelated Beat Noise”, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Volume 17, Issue 11, Nov. 2005, pp. 2484 – 2486.
20. X. Yi , W. Chen, and W. Shieh, “An OSNR Monitor for Optical Packet Switched Networks”, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Volume 18, Issue 13, July 2006, pp. 1448 – 1450.
21. W. Shieh, W. Chen, and R. S. Tucker, “Polarization Mode Dispersion Mitigation in Coherent Optical Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexed Systems”, IEE Electronics Letters, Volume 42, Issue 17, August 2006, pp. 996 – 997.
22. X. Yi, F. Buchali, W. Chen, and W. Shieh, “Chromatic Dispersion Monitoring in Electronic Dispersion Equalizers Using Tapped Delay Lines”, Optics Express, vol. 15, issue 2, Jan. 2007, pp. 312-315.
23. W. Shieh, R. S. Tucker, W. Chen, X. Yi and G. Pendock, “Optical performance monitoring in coherent optical OFDM systems”, Optics Express, vol. 15, issue 2, Jan. 2007, pp. 350-356.
1. W. Chen, S. Bouwstra, S. Bambang Oetomo, and L. M. G. Feijs, “Intelligent Design for Neonatal Monitoring with Wearable Sensors”, Intelligent and Biosensors, ISBN 978-953-7619-58-9, pp. 386 – 410, January 2010, INTECH.
2. W. Chen, S. Bambang Oetomo, and L. M. G. Feijs, “Neonatal Monitoring – Current Practice and Future Trends”, in Handbook of Research on Developments in e-Health and Telemedicine: Technological and Social Perspectives, DOI: 10.4018/978-1-61520-670-4.ch045, IGI Global, Dec. 2009.
3. C. F. Tan, W. Chen, G.W.M. Rauterberg, “Adaptive Neck Support for Wellbeing during Air Travel”, in Handbook on Ambient Assisted Living: Technology for Healthcare, Rehabilitation and Well-being. Edited by Juan Augusto et al., Amsterdam, Netherlands: IOS Press BV, pp. 211-228, 2012.
4. G.R. Langereis, S. Bouwstra, W. Chen, “Sensors, actuators and computing architecture systems for smart textiles”, Chapter 6 in: Roger Chapman (Ed.), Smart Textiles for Protection, Woodhead Publishing, December 2012, ISBN 0 85709 056 9, http://www.woodheadpublishing.com/en/book.aspx?bookID=2341
5. M. Perusquía-Hernández, W. Chen, L.M.G. Feijs, “Textile-integrated electronics for ambulatory pregnancy monitoring”, Advances in smart medical textiles, eds. by L. Van Langenhove, Woodhead publishing, 2015